If you guys are looking for the tastiest waffles then you are in luck… We visited Florence Italy and one of the very first things that pops in our minds when thinking about the trip is the great little waffle shop we found. They truly were the most delicious waffles we have ever had. Its close to the Basilica of Santa Maria Di Fiore, on Via die Calzaiuoli a few blocks south on the right side . We knew we had to have them again, luckily we found this great recipe so we could create them at home. Thanks chef in training ENJOY!!
LIEGE WAFFLES: WAFFLE LOVE COPY CAT
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
½ cup whole milk, lukewarm
⅓ cup water, lukewarm
2 large eggs warmed up to room temperature
2 Tablespoons honey
1½ Tablespoons vanilla
½ teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
4 cups bread flour
1½ cups Belgian Pearl Sugar
Sweetened Whipped Cream
3 cups heavy whipping cream
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Whatever you’d like
- In stand mixer, combine yeast, granulated sugar, whole milk and water. Stir to combine and let yeast sit and activate for 5 minutes.
- Add in eggs honey, vanilla and salt and beat until well combined.
- Add in brown sugar and butter and beat until well combined.
- Add Flour last and knead until dough is formed and is smooth in consistency.
- Place dough in a medium greased bowl and cover tightly with saran wrap. Let rest for about 3 hours until dough has bulked up more than double in size. Punch dough down, place back in bowl, cover tightly with saran wrap and place in fridge over night. DO NO MIX IN YOUR BELGIAN PEARL SUGAR YET. That step comes in the morning.
- In the morning, heat up waffle iron.
Prepare Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Beat heavy cream on high and gradually add in sugar and vanilla until whipped cream is formed. You want it someone on the stiffer side.
- Remove dough from fridge, it will be very firm. Knead in the Belgian Pearl Sugars.
- Divide dough into 8-10 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Place on greased waffle iron and cook until golden brown in color.
- I spread Nutella over my warm waffle, topped with Sweetened whipped cream sliced strawberries but the options are completely up to you!
Recipe from: Ashlee Marie (Topsy Turvy)